I love making up family traditions especially at Christmas time. We started doing advent activities when Sofia was 3 and have done it every year since. The idea is very simple and flexible. I think of 24 Christmas activities and we do one each day throughout December up until Christmas day.
It takes a little bit of organising but it makes the run up to Christmas really special. Sofia is now 7 and Sam and Leo are 3. This will be the first year the boys will really get to join in.
We have little coloured envelops hung on a ribbon across the living room (I found some perfect ones in Paperchase). Each envelop has a paper with the days activity written on it.
Here is our advent activity list for 2015!
- Drink hot chocolate with marshmallows
- Make melted snowman biscuits
- Christmas themed movie night
- Make and eat popcorn
- Make ginger bread biscuits
- Decorate the Christmas tree
- Eat candy canes
- Christmas treasure hunt (I just hide lots of chocolate coins around the house for the kids to look for)
- Have a sparkle bath (using a bath fizzer from Lush that turns the water coloured and sparkly)
- Bake mince pies
- Write and post Christmas cards (the kids love going to the post box to post the envelops in)
- Read a Christmas story
- Chocolate fondue
- Make Christmas sticker pictures
- Make cloud dough snow (this is just made from plain flour mixed with olive oil)
- Eat ice cream with sprinkles
- Decorate a ginger bread house (they sell great kits in Ikea or Tiger)
- Build a Christmas village (we have some little wooden houses with lights in that we set up on a shelf to make a little village scene).
- Make star garlands (I bought a big star paper punch last year that helps with this)
- Make salt dough ornaments
- Make lolly stick stars
- Decorate a Christmas wreath
- Paint our nails with glitter nail varnish
- Open the Christmas Eve box (which has new pyjamas for everyone, a Christmas story, DVD and some chocolate)
There are deliberately some activities that are very quick to do (like the eating ones). These come in handy for days when I get back from work a bit later and we don’t have time to do crafts or baking.
Do you have an advent tradition or any activities that you like to do in the run up to Christmas? Let me know in the comments section below.